Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Has it really been two months?

Guess so.  That's alright.  Been a lot going on, enough to keep my mind away, enough to leave me a little unfocused.

I got married not long after my last update, about a week and a half after.  That's a good thing.  I have a wonderful wife.

I suppose I'm a "millennial" - as we're being labeled.  The children of the Gen-Xers, those who saw the millennium change as they became adults.  It'll be our millennium, but we inherit many problems with it.  It seems we're destined to experience hardships our parents did not.

I spend a lot of time thinking about it; about how in many ways, I feel like a failure as a result.  We grew up being told we could be whatever we wanted, if we worked hard.  Opportunities would be there.  For children like myself, it was even worse - we were gifted, clever, smart, whatever you want to call it.  We grew up being promised the world.  As we came to adulthood, the world fell apart around us, all of those promises vaporizing in an instant, the reality of a hard world caving in around us.

I'm a college-educated man and, still, a fairly clever one, I like to think.  The world has changed in such a way that these things no longer really matter.  They won't find you jobs or opportunities.  Perhaps I have to make them; but where to begin?  Writing has always been my strongest point, my special talent in life.  If I was meant to "do" anything, it was write.  But I've been so lost on what to write about, where to start.  So I suppose I'll try to blog more.  To detail not just the struggles of a young writer who has lost his voice, but to detail the struggles of a millennial coping with a changed world.  At the very least, I can give it a try, to voice my frustrations rather than let them simmer and boil within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment